Saturday, March 24, 2018

Ships on the Columbia River in 1994

These pictures were taken from Rainier, Oregon, in June of 1994. I don't have much to say about them as I can't positively identify most of the ships due to my cheap camera's inability to focus on them, but I am presenting them for completion.

US Navy Agile-class minesweeper on the Columbia River at Rainier, Oregon, in June, 1994

The first ship is a United States Navy ship. It is hard to tell from the picture, but based on its size, I think it might be an Agile-class minesweeper. It was returning from a visit to Portland for the Rose Festival.

US Navy Military Sealift Command vessel on the Columbia River at Rainier, Oregon, in June, 1994

I can't identify this vessel, but I think it is part of the US Navy's Military Sealift Command fleet. Based on the cranes on the long, flat fantail, I think this might be a support vessel for submersibles. It was returning from a visit to Portland for the Rose Festival.


This vessel I am fairly confident is the United States Army Corps of Engineers dredge Yaquina. As a relatively common sight on the Columbia River, I am not sure if the Yaquina was visiting the Rose Festival, or just happened to be passing by.

US Coast Guard buoy tender & Navy Spruance-class cruiser on the Columbia River at Rainier, Oregon, in June, 1994

In the foreground is a United States Coast Guard cutter that appears to be a 180-foot seagoing buoy tender, though I have no idea which one. In the background, being guided by a local tugboat, is a United States Navy ship that appears to be a Spruance-class guided missile cruiser. They were both returning from a visit to Portland for the Rose Festival.

Longview Fibre & the Columbia River at Rainier, Oregon, in June, 1994

There are no ships in this picture, just the Columbia River and the Longview Fibre paper mill in Longview, Washington, on the other side.

Cargo Ship on the Columbia River at Rainier, Oregon, in June, 1994

Here is a cargo ship that was more typical of the normal traffic on the Columbia River.

No comments:

Post a Comment