Friday, May 16, 2014

Trojan in Twilight

I originally posted Trojan in Twilight in the FEATURES section of my website on June 4, 2006, and last updated it on March 26, 2009.

Trojan in Twilight
The final days of the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant

IMG_1980 Trojan Nuclear Power Plant on May 13, 2006
The Trojan Nuclear Power Plant in its final days, a week from the Cooling Tower's implosion.

The Trojan Nuclear Power Plant has been a northwest landmark since it was built in the 1970s. I had been intending to put up a page about it ever since writing the PLACES - Rainier, Oregon page about my hometown. Trojan had existed for my entire life, and when Portland General Electric announced in late 2005 that the plant would soon be demolished, I knew I had to work fast to create the page I simply had to have.

History
Views from the Kalama Sportsmen’s Club
View from Graham Road at Highway 30
Views along U.S. Highway 30
Trojan Artwork
Trojan Grounds
Main Entrance
Visitors Information Center
Reflection Lake
Visitor Viewing Platform
Heliport
Visitors Information Center Parking Lot
Flagpole Spotlights
Driveway
Trojan Park Recreation Lake
Training Building
Training Building Parking Lot
Trojan Park
Main Gate
Administration Building
Administration Building Parking Lot
Security Entrance
Trojan Central
Turbine Building
Cooling Tower
Cooling Tower Implosion Preparation
Cooling Tower Implosion
Epilogue

The photos on these pages were taken on April 22, 2006 and May 13, 2006, except for the pictures taken the day of the cooling tower implosion: May 21, 2006. Most were taken with my digital camera, except for a few taken on film to take advantage of my Pentax Spotmatic's superior lens selection and responsiveness. This page was the first to primarily use pictures taken with my Canon PowerShot A520 digital camera.

My main sources of information included Portland General Electric's website, Wikipedia's article about the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant, NukeWorker.com, The Virtual Nuclear Tourist, the Trojan Wetlands page, Howstuffworks.com, articles from The Daily News, The Clatskanie Chief, The Columbia County News/Advertiser, The Columbian, The Oregonian and The Statesman-Journal and special thanks to Tim Keller, a PGE employee who worked at Trojan for information about the site not available elsewhere. I would also like to thank Gene Davis, from whose property my dad and I watched the implosion of the cooling tower.

Trojan Nuclear Power Plant Links:
Portland General Electric
Wikipedia: Trojan Nuclear Power Plant
Trojan Wetlands
The Virtual Nuclear Tourist
Trojan at NukeWorker.com. This site also has many pictures.

Continue to History

No comments:

Post a Comment